At GROUND, we understand the importance of providing support and comfort during difficult times. That's why we created the Barróg Collection, a range of products specifically designed to cater to the unique skin care needs of those who have been touched by cancer. Our intention is clear: to support and soothe compromised skin while also promoting overall wellbeing and encouraging moments of calm and rest when self-care is needed most.
In Ireland, every three minutes, someone receives a life-altering cancer diagnosis, and the statistics from 2020 revealed that there are over 200,000 cancer survivors in the country today. While we know that cancer treatments such as Chemotherapy, Radiation, Targeted Therapies, and Immunotherapy are aimed at eliminating cancer cells. What we may not know however is that many individuals diagnosed with cancer will experience a range of skin-related side effects from these treatments that can add to the challenges they face. These may affect the quality of their day to day life and can include hypersensitivity, inflammation, itching, irritation and extreme dryness.
Since the very beginning our aim with the Barróg collection has been to find ways to promote the healing of compromised skin and restore its natural barrier function. We continue on this path with an approach that involves:
A hero ingredient in the Barróg family is Astaxanthin, a red algae that is more powerful than vitamin C or E when it comes to soothing redness and itching. It is critical for reducing oxidative stress in the skin
Ingredients such as Calendula, Coconut and Avocado oil are infused with the Red Algae to help moisturise and protect the skin
Naturally present anti-inflammatory properties in core ingredients such as:
Frankincense - highly effective in the treatment of inflammation as it contains boswellic acid.
Rosemary - shows important clinical effects on mood, pain, anxiety, and sleep as well as being rich in anti-inflammatory properties.
Lavender - thus essential oil continues to prove itself as a significant anti-inflammatory.
Rosehip - Contains essential fatty acids and antioxidants that provide high protection against inflammation and oxidative skin damage.
Turmeric - A potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
At GROUND, we believe that knowledge truly is power and with that in mind here are some valuable tips on how to care for skin that has been compromised as a result of cancer treatments, whether that be for yourself or a loved one:
- Hydration: Dryness is one of the most common side effects of cancer therapies. Apply cream or oil to your body while it is still damp to soothe the skin and lock in hydration & nourishment.
- Avoid Hot Water: Hot water can strip the skin of natural oils, leading to more dryness and discomfort. Use lukewarm or warm water instead of hot water in your bath or shower.
- Be Gentle with Your Skin: Pat your skin dry gently with a soft towel, don’t rub your skin.
- Sun & Weather Protection: Protect your skin from extreme temperatures with clothing or a balm. Radiation therapy for example can make the skin more sensitive to sunlight. Protect your skin with a broad-spectrum sunscreen.
- Fragrance & Alcohol Free Products: Fragrances can be irritating to sensitive skin. Avoid heavily scented and fragranced products especially those containing alcohol. Wash your clothes in mild, fragrance free and dye free laundry detergent.
- Shave less: Shaving may cause friction to the skin, leading to trauma while presenting a risk for infection; however, an electric razor may be a better option.
- Mindful Self-Care: Cancer treatments can take a toll on mental and emotional wellbeing. Create a self-care ritual that includes relaxation techniques, aromatherapy and breathwork designed to encourage a deep sense of calm.
How to care for our skin will differ greatly while in active treatment and when we are post treatment. The reason being that during active treatment there may be a heightened sensitivity to aromatherapy products, in which case the unscented NOURISH SUPER SEED Face & Body Oil would be optimal to encourage skin recovery.
Our Barróg products are formulated with love and care to provide relief to compromised skin while promoting overall well being during challenging times. We believe that self-care is a crucial component of healing, and we are here to support you every step of the way.
Click Here to learn more about our Barróg family
Always patch test before use and allow 24 hours.
During active treatment there may be heightened sensitivity to aromatherapy products, in which case switch over to the unscented NOURISH SUPER SEED Face & Body Oil.
Do not use these aromatherapy products on broken skin, upon healing, use NOURISH SUPER SEED Face & Body Oil to encourage skin recovery.